Destinations / Dejection agreeable / Poznan
You've visited Krakow. You've ticked Warsaw off your list. Next, try Poznan the 5th largest city in Poland. Poznan is regarded as the first capital city of Poland and is one of the richest and most developed in the country.
It's a lovely city to amble around as it has a number of pedestrianised streets in the city centre so you can stroll around, window shop and people watch from one of the many pavement cafes. It's also a great city for those who like to indulge in some retail therapy with excellent and award-winning shopping centres like Stary Browar and the bigger Galeria Malta, one of the largest in all Europe.
What is there to do in Poznan?
- Old Market Square: Lined with colourful pastel buildings, the Old Market Square is the perfect place to grab a beer and people watch. It's particularly pretty at Christmas time for their annual Christmas Fair.
- Watch the goats: At noon every day, watch the billy goats butt their horns 12 times on the Town Hall's clock. the mechanical billy goats date back to 1551!
- Try a St. Martin's Croissant: The St. Martin's Croissant is one of the most famous Polish pastry and is a protected food. It's folded 81 times with each layer containing a pastelike mixture of poppy seeds, nuts, raisins, almonds, sugar, and butter. You can even visit the St. Martin's Croissant Museum to learn more about its history and how its made.
- Cathedral Island: In the middle of the Warta River, Poland was founded on Cathedral Island. See the relics of the first Polish cathedral and get an insight into the history of Poland.
- Lech Brewery: Near Lake Malta, visit the brewery of one of Poland's best-selling beers. After learning all about how the beer brewing process, you can relax with a cold glass of beer at the bar.
How do I get from the airport into Poznan?
The flight to Poznan takes 2hrs 35mins. The airport is only 7km from the city centre so it's very easy to get from the airport to the city. The best way to get into the city is via bus. You can get:
- Bus 59 which runs every 20minutes from 5am to midnight.
- Bus 242 is a night bus which runs from 11.30pm to 4am.